This month is my Blogging Anniversary. It’s been quite the journey and I thought I would share the lessons I learned from my first year blogging that are applicable to EVERYONE, bloggers or not. 🙂 Today, I am sharing 5 tips to look better in photos.
Blogging requires being in front of the camera. I felt like that might kill me for the first few months. Seriously horrifying! For a good deal of my life, I hid from the camera because I hated myself in pictures. Christmas cards just had my kids solo and travel photos would be of everyone else. Why? Stupid reasons like I looked fat or didn’t like my outfit.
There is so much misinformation out there about photos. At girls night out, some crazy advice gets passed around like push your tongue on the roof of your mouth, stick your neck forward like a turkey to eliminate a double chin, etc… So here are some real tips I have learned to look better in photos that will truly make a difference.
Working on Your Photography? Check Out Our Latest Posts.
- How to Edit Photos is a great guide for using apps on your phone to take your shots to the next level.
- How to Capture Awesome Vacation Pictures with these composition tips.
5 Tips to Look Better in Photos
1. Face the light source in a photo.
There is no pose you can do that will make you look prettier than amazing light. Inside, get close to and face the window and avoid being under a light fixture. Outside, face the light source unless it is really sunny. A shady spot is usually best. Photos with the sun directly overhead can make ugly shadows.
2. Take photos at the right time of day.
Avoid that picture with a gorgeous view in the background but you end up being so dark because the lighting is behind you. Do your sightseeing in the morning or early evening to have great light and avoid the crowds.
3. Whatever is closest to the camera will look the biggest.
When the camera is higher, it has a slimming effect. If you push your butt back away from the camera, your hips and thighs will look slimmer. In a group photo, the person closest to the camera will look bigger. Moms – if everyone in your family is bigger than you, stand in front so you’re not downed out. If you have little kids, put them in front.
4. Know you own personal best angles.
Look through old photos and see if there are any commonalities in the photos you like or don’t like of yourself. When you take photos, try different things to see what’s best. There is no one size fits all to look best in a photo.
5. Watch your posture and try to look relaxed.
Drop your shoulders and let your body look relaxed even if it doesn’t feel comfortable. Try not to be stiff. Generally posture that is elongating from head to toe is flattering, while posture that expands you from side to side, is not.
6. Learn to Pose Better
Taking photos can be so awkward but if you learn some basic poses, you can add so much peace to your life. It doesn’t need to be painful. Here’s an awesome video on posing for photos.
- Use your cell phone in selfie mode (you don’t have to take a picture), look at the screen while you turn around slowly in a circle to find the best light on your face. You will easily see the direction you should be taking the photo.
- Take a test photo or two and make adjustments in your positioning.
Hope these 6 tips to look better in photos help you in your everyday life or on your next trip. Thanks for reading The Evolista. Your support and encouragement means so much to me. If you have any photo questions or ideas for blog posts you would like to see, please let me know in the comments below.
We all know that the camera can add 5-10 pounds but you can fix that by using an angle that slims you down.
SHOP THE POST
Other Posts You Might Like:
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Capture Awesome Vacation Pictures
- PHOTOGRAPHY: How To Edit Photos
- BALI: 50 of the Most Instagrammable Spots
- GEAR: Must Have Travel Accessories
- PORTUGAL: The Best Day Trip to Fairytale Sintra