So we’ve watched enough news for a lifetime, shopped to prepare for an extended time at home, organized our haul and are sitting here with a now what. Once you’re prepared, it’s time to take your mind off the sad state of affairs. Here are a few ideas of what you can do with the extra time you may have on your hands.
Taxes May Not Top Your List of Things to do at Home But…
So they moved the tax date back but lots of people qualify for a refund. Don’t wait. Get your money.
Organize and Do Some Spring Cleaning
Go though your closets and get rid of old clothes. Take everything out of the pantry, organize and clean it. Vacuum behind couches. Wash slip covers. Check out our Spring Cleaning & Organizing Tips.
Exercise is One of the Best Things You Can do at Home to Stay Sane
Now that we’re all officially stuck at home, we need to be creative with our exercise in the space that we have. If you live somewhere that allows you to get out and do a run or an exercise walk, it’s a great way to get fresh air and a workout at the same time. Inside the house, you can lift weights, do yoga, and even just stretch. We could all use a little stress relief. Do you know there are free exercise videos for Amazon Prime subscribers?
Read or Netflix Binge Of Course!
I’m one of those people who reads lots of articles but I never read books unless I’m on vacation. Now is a perfect time to jump into a big, fat novel. Here’s a list of book ideas in every genre.
For a good TV Binge, there are a zillion lists on the internet. These shows might not be on any of the lists and they’re awesome.
- All American on Netflix – About a high school football player who transfers schools to play in Beverly Hills. Based on a true story and filled with drama and beautiful people.
- Unorthodox on Netflix – About a woman who escapes her Hasidic Jewish community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn to live in Brooklyn. The acting is superb!
- McMillion$ on HBO – A crazy 6 part documentary on the FBI take down of people that were scamming the McDonalds Monopoly game for millions and millions of dollars.
- Younger on Hulu – About a 40 year old woman that pretends to be a millennial to get a job. So cute and funny!
- Army Wives on ABC – the most I have ever binged a show. As the title implies, it’s about army wives but the drama from episode will hook you like nobody’s business! You won’t be able to stop watching. The cast is great too.
Create a Photo Album. It’s sure to Put a Smile on Your Face.
I have made family albums on Shutterfly every year since 2003. I haven’t done 2018 & 2019 yet because I got so busy with blogging. Right now, Shutterfly has 50% off everything so put your creative skills to work and do something happy for a while. You can also make personalized presents for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day ahead of time.
Make a Vision Board: Do a Little Happy Goal Setting
It might be hard to see beyond the present moment but this will pass. Take some of those magazines you’ve been holding onto and do a little cut and paste project. It’s a great activity you can do alone or with your whole family. I found an old vision board that I created years ago and it was shocking how many of the things actually came true.
Plan a Trip or Dream About Travel
Obviously no one is going anywhere right now and we have no idea when we will ever be able to travel again. But, what if you planned a trip. Figure out somewhere you want to go, figure out what hotel you would want to stay in, all of the things you would want to do and places you would love to see. Save all your info because one day, you will be able to travel again safely and you’ll have had the opportunity to dream for a few hours. Here are some ideas to get you started.
Beauty Treatments Top the List of Things to do With Downtime at Home
- Put on a face mask and if you don’t have any product at home, make your own face mask.
- Do a hair conditioning treatment.
- Exfoliate and use a self tanner
- Give yourself a mani pedi.
- Now is a great time to prep your skin for summer. Check out this post for using Retin A.
- Don’t have any beauty products at home? Check out the Top 5 beauty uses for Coconut Oil.
Work on Your Spring Garden
Now is the perfect time to plant flowers, vegetables or just clean up your yard. It will help you get outside and make life feel more normal. Check out your gardening zone for the best things to plant. This is also a great chance to support a local nursery that could really your patronage.
Make Some Meals to Freeze or Dehydrate
The one upside to all this craziness is that everyone is more prepared for an emergency. If you want to take it a step further, you can make some food to freeze or dehydrate. This is great for anyone who finds cooking and baking relaxing. If you have a dehydrator, you can fire it up to make fruit leather, emergency meals, backpacking meals and more.
Make Something Easy From Scratch
We’ve been experimenting with some fun things to make. Some we’ve done before and others are new. Here are a few fun, easy things to make:
- Chia Pudding – 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds to 1/4 cup almond milk and add in whatever you want to make it exciting. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight and you’re good to go.
- Almond Milk – Put 1 cup of organic almonds in a bowl and cover with water overnight. Drain the almonds, rinse and put into a blender with 4 cups of water and agave for sweetness and/or vanilla. Blend at high speed for 2 minutes then strain through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag. Squeeze the bag to get out all the milk. Will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can save the leftover almond meal to put in oatmeal or
Catch Up on Any Projects You’ve Been Putting Off
If you are doing any home repair or renovation projects, now is a good time to get cracking. You can paint a room, repurpose some old furniture, or fix a squeaky door. Wouldn’t it be nice if you emerged from this pandemic with a fully functioning house!
Hope you enjoyed these ideas of ways to kill time while you might be spending more time than ever at home. If you have any good book recommendations, TV shows, or other things to do at home, put them in the comments below. Hope everyone is safe, healthy and not feeling too overwhelmed with panic.