“Tis the season” to be jolly, not have holiday stress. No one loves the holidays more than us! We love holiday music, the beautiful decorations everywhere, the parties, the charitable spirit and so much more. We can also get totally stressed out by trying to do too much. Here are a few tips we have learned over the years so you can enjoy the season.
Tips to Beat Holiday Stress
1. Make Lots of Lists
Making a list seems so obvious and everyone does it, but WHEN you make the list is the most important part. After you read this article, make these lists:
- Gifts – Everyone that you plan to buy a gift
- Holiday Cards – Update your list with current addresses and add new friends.
- Parties – Whether you are throwing a party, need a new dress or hostess gift, prepare a list for everything party related.
- Events – Going to see The Nutcracker? A Holiday Home tour? The Christmas show at your children’s school? Get everything in your calendar.
- Travel – If you are planning a trip, make sure plane tickets, hotels, and even a packing list are all written down.
2. Set a Budget
- Nothing can add to holiday stress like a draining bank account. Once you have made all your lists, setting a budget for everything will be easy.
- Stick to your budget with online shopping, the best invention of our lifetime! Not only can you price compare, avoid crowds and tackle your shopping as you have time, but you can use websites to get a percentage of your shopping dollars back. I am a huge Ebates fan because I have gotten $2,766.47 back since 2012. It takes all of 15 seconds to go through their portal and you can see if there are any extra discounts available. There’s nothing worse than seeing that Coupon Code box at check out and knowing you don’t have one. Ugh!
3. Keep Exercising
- Exercise is a huge stress reliever. December is not the time to let exercise go by the wayside.
- It’s much easier to tackle your New Year’s Resolutions when you are not TOTALLY out of shape or dealing with an extra 10 pounds that you gained in the last 30 days.
4. Plan Ahead Whenever You Can
Give yourself plenty of time to do what you need to do, and as a result you will have more time to do things you want to do. After all, this the season to enjoy yourself.
- Get shopping done early.
- Wrap right away.
- Make dinner ressies now.
- Order Holiday cards now.
- Figure out what you want to do to give back, whether it’s buying gifts for an unfortunate family, serving food at a homeless shelter or something your family does every year. Knowing that you have a plan in place to honor the reason for the season will make you feel good.
- Solidify any travel plans and pack in advance.
5. Get enough sleep
When we are rested we can accomplish anything! When we are tired everything seems impossible. If you do the things I mentioned above, you won’t have anything keeping you up at night.
6. Skip perfection
It’s never going to be perfect. Enjoy your family and your plans! Take lots of pictures. This can be a magical time of year if you use these tips to beat holiday stress.