Designer resale is a huge industry, especially online. But what if you want to actually try things on or sell items to a shop in person. There are definitely great deals to be had and amazing items to find. All you need is the insider scoop on the world of luxury consignment. I did an interview with my dear friend, Gina Buccola, former Hollywood stylist to get the best designer resale tips.
Truth be told, I was never interested in designer resale shopping because I thought it was just going to be designer clothes that were totally out of style. And the idea of wearing someone else’s clothes brought back visions of thrift shops from high school. Boy was I wrong! I went into Gina’s shop to check things out and it was an eye opening experience! She is a super talented stylist that has curated a store full of must-haves! Can’t wait for you all to meet her and hear some of her insider resale advice.
WHO IS GINA BUCCOLA?
Mother, Daughter, Friend. I love clothes and styling. Love to move my body. My favorite routine is going for a grueling hike (unplugged) first thing in the morning and taking a moment at the top to look at the ocean and appreciate what I am grateful for.
WHAT’S YOUR NETFLIX BINGE?
Binging on Barry right now with Bill Hader and I just finished Ozark Season 2.
WHAT’S YOUR AWESOME BEAUTY SECRET / TIP?
Exercise! It’s so important to help keep the body young and healthy.
WHAT’S SOMETHING MOST PEOPLE DON’T KNOW ABOUT YOU?
I started this business alone as a single mother and worked 6 days a week for 2 years. That was 14 years ago.
WHAT TWISTS AND TURNS GOT YOU WHERE YOU ARE TODAY?
My love of fashion started when I was in grammar school. I read all the fashion magazines I could find and Seventeen was my favorite. Coincidentally I was offered a job to be their west coast editor later in life. My first job was working in retail at the age of 14, stocking shelves and checking in merchandise. I kept working various retail jobs throughout my college years and eventually moved into wholesale. While working in a downtown LA showroom, I was offered an opportunity to produce fashion segments for TV talk shows. From there, I continued in the TV, Film and Print world by styling many celebrities and models over the next 23 years.
I was a single mom, costuming and styling and I also owned a laundromat. Sadly, my brother fell ill with ALS and I became his caretaker. Three years into my brother’s illness it all became too much so I sold the laundromat and took time off from costuming/styling. I was still handling the celebrities clothes, clearing out their closets and selling them out of my house. Eventually I moved everything to a bungalow in Santa Monica and that’s when 3020 Designer Resale became a retail business.
YOU ARE SUCH AN AMAZING STYLIST. WHAT’S YOUR PROCESS? DO YOU OFFER STYLING SERVICES TO CLIENTS?
Clothing says so much about a person. It is a visual representation of who they are. I love to learn about someone through their clothing and it is always a fun challenge for me to work with them finding the perfect items.
When styling, I start with what the client is looking for – work clothes, travel, a specific event, etc… Then I take into account their likes/dislikes, their best colors and what works well for their body type. After that, it’s really just pulling things together that make a great look.
I offer styling services through the store and I also work with clients outside the store.
WHAT ARE THE MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT DESIGNER RESALE CLOTHES AND WHY SHOULD WOMEN BUY DESIGNER RESALE?
When people think of designer resale, they think of a thrift shop. We carry only mid to high end brands – anything from Equipment & James Perse to Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada and Chanel. A lot of our items are new and some gently worn. All are in pristine condition for ⅓ or ¼ of the price.
One of the best things about designer resale is finding one of a kind items that you might not ever see on anyone else. It allows you to be unique. Designer resale is also great for the environment from a recycling standpoint.
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 3 BUYING DESIGNER RESALE TIPS?
- Inventory is always changing so pop in often – There is a huge influx of incredible clothes on a daily basis. If you check in often you are bound to score some amazing finds.
- Take your time and carefully look through the items. You will ALWAYS find a hidden gem because merchandising is different when there is only one of each item. Ask the people who work at the shop about what you might want to find because they see the items come in and can help to steer you to the perfect items.
- If you see something don’t wait. Since there is only one of each item, there’s a chance if you walk out the door it won’t be there when you go back.
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 3 SELLING DESIGNER RESALE TIPS?
- Search your closet. Popular mid to high end brands sell best along with specialty boutique items. Is there something you haven’t touched for a year or two, get it out of the closet and make room for something new. Did you wear something to an event that had tons of pictures and you don’t want to wear it again? Did you buy something that has been hanging in your closet but you just never wear it? As your things sell, you can even use the money to exchange for something else in the store. Then you can have a revolving closet that’s always new and stylish.
- Pricing is important. You want to price the items to sell, not end up back in your closet. They are not worth what you paid for them, like a car when you drive it off the lot.
- Present your items well. Make sure things are clean and in great condition. If you walk in with dirty clothes in a trash bag, they will probably be turned away.
Hope you found these designer resale tips helpful. Gina is a wealth of knowledge and a talented stylist.