As I started to write this post, it was humorous, like get botox and use expensive eye cream earlier. I also reached out to other women I knew to ask about their best advice and they sent back the most interesting and insightful responses. You can see the results below. Please share your best advice in the comments.
Question: What would be your best advice to your younger self?
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. When you look back you will realize that it wasn’t that big of a deal. Don’t stress about things you have no control over.
- Reach higher than you think you can. Don’t sell yourself short or be afraid to fail because that’s where you’ll learn who you are and what’s important.
- Be selfish in pursuing your dreams when you’re young because as you get older your decisions may be dictated by your circumstances.
- Take really good care of your body. Eat healthfully. Don’t yo-yo diet. Lift weights. Maintain flexibility. Wear Sunscreen. Use Retin-A.and face masks to take care of your skin. You will age so much better.
- If you decide to stay home with kids, consider working part-time and keeping some financial independence. Leaving the work force completely, even for a few years can make a return to work very difficult.
- Be smart with saving money for the future. Put a small amount of money away religiously. Spend and invest wisely.
- Don’t be self critical or worry about what other people think. We can only control our own actions and feelings. Be loving and true to yourself.
- Practice daily gratitude. Your life will be much happier overall if you focus on the things you appreciate instead of what you think you are missing.
- Life is not a dress rehearsal. Wear your best jewelry. Use the good china and silver. Travel, learn, explore and love fiercely. You only live once.
- Take tons of photos and videos of your children, parents and grandparents. You will cherish the memories forever.
What do you think? What would be your best advice to your younger self? I’d love to hear what you have to say.